It’s hard for me to believe that it was a year ago today that — without fully realizing what I was doing — I started work on the Sci-Fi Romance October EP. For those not familiar, every October I watch as many classic horror movies as I can cram into my eyeballs, and last year, over ten days I watched six movies, wrote a song about each, and recorded them on a nearly 30-year-old analogue four-track cassette recorder. We’re gearing up for the release of our next full-length album, so I won’t be spontaneously writing and recording songs this year, but I will be doing all the horror-movie-eyeball-cramming.
I wanted to share my planned list of movies, in case anybody else wanted to celebrate the annual return of the best month, and wasn’t sure what to watch.
In no particular order:
- The Masque of the Red Death
- Night of the Living Dead
- The Wicker Man (which I have in a collectible wicker box!)
- The Tomb of Ligeia
- The Haunted Palace (billed as an Edgar Allan Poe adaptation, this is actually one of the best H.P. Lovecraft adaptations out there)
- House of Wax
- The Invisible Man
- The House on Haunted Hill
- Twice-Told Tales
- Cat People
- Curse of the Demon
- Burn Witch, Burn
- Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein/Young Frankenstein
- Black Sunday
- Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell
That’s about one every other day. Between rehearsals and…you know, life…I may be able to keep that pace up.
My list is maybe a little Vincent Price-heavy, if there can be such a thing, but I’m…hopeful…I’ll survive. What are some of your favorites? What will you be watching?